Natural Himalaya Tour Bhutan
Day 01 Arrive Paro (Altitude 2280 m) (By Druk Air):
- Your Guide from Yak Adventure Travel will receive you at the Airport.
- Visit Ta Dzong (built in1656 and renovated in 1968), an ancient watchtower,
- The Paro Rimpung Dzong (literally meaning “Heap of Jewels”, built in 1646 by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal,
- A short walk takes you to the base of the dzong and across a traditional cantilevered, covered bridge. In the evening, drive to Thimphu.
Day 02 Paro, Excursion to Taktsang Monastery – Thimphu: (Altitude 2320 m):
- A very special day, with an excursion to view the spectacular Taktsang (Tiger’s Nest) monastery, this incredible monastery clings to the edge of a sheer rock cliff that plunges 900 meters into the valley below.
- Legend has it that Guru Padmasambhava, the tantric mystic who brought Buddhism to Bhutan, flew here on the back of a flying tigress who was said to be a transformed form of one of his consorts.
- Drive to the ruins of the Drukgyal Dzong 16 km up the valley built in 1647 by the great Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal,
- Explore the ramparts and on a clear day experience an unforgettable view of Mt. Jhomolhari (7,314 m).
- On the way back, visit Kyichu Lhakhang, built in 659 A.D by the Tibetan king Songsen Gempo.
Day 03 Thimphu Sightseeing: (Altitude 2320 m):
- The day begins with a visit to the National Memorial Chorten (1974) built in honour of our late King Jigme Dorji Wangchuk
- The Dupthop Lhakhang one of the few surviving nunneries in Bhutan.
- Visit the National Library, stocked with ancient Buddhist manuscripts,
- The Painting School where traditional art is still kept alive through instructions in the art of painting Thangkas (sacred Buddhist religious scrolls).
- The Traditional Medicine Institute where medicines are prepared according to ancient practices.
- Other highlights include a visit to the Tashichho Dzong, seat of the national government and the Central Monastic Body,
- And finally visit the Handicrafts Emporium followed by shopping for souvenirs in the shops of Thimphu.
Day 04 Thimphu – Punakha: (Altitude 1310 m, 72 Kms,):
- After breakfast, drive to Punakha via Dochula pass.
- On the way, visit Chimi Lhakhang, which was built by Lama Drukpa Kuenley. He subdued the demons with his “Magical Thunder bolt”. The Temple is also known as “the Temple of Fertility”.
- In Punakha, visit Punakha Dzong built in 1637 by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal and is situated between Pho Chu (Male River) and Mo Chu (Female River).
- After Lunch, excursion to Khamsung Yulley Namgyal Choling Monastery.
Day 05 Punakha – Gangtey: (Altitude 3120 m):
- After breakfast, drive to Gangtey. Enroute sightseeing in the valley of Wangdiphodrang
- Drive further to Gangtey. While in Gangtey, visit Gangtey Gompa.
- Explore Phobjikha valley, famous for the Black Necked Cranes during winter. After lunch, explore the valley.
Day 06 Gangtey – Thimphu: (Altitude 2320 m):
- After breakfast, drive to Thimphu.
- Visit Folk Heritage Museum and free for shopping and photography in the town.
Day 07 Departure: (Altitude 2280 m):
• Early morning, drive to the airport and farewell.
Trip Duration: 7
Max. Altitude 3120 m
We would be happy to help you!
+977 1 402739